Over on Style.com, they’re having a peek at tie dye as it pops up on current runways. It always begs the question, are we tired of tie dye? I think the short answer is “no”, when it shows up looking like this:
Indeed, if all tie dye contained the elegant drape of this Blumarine maxi or the clever design of a Lela Rose dress, we probably wouldn’t even have to ask the question every time designers get the urge to get all Jerry Garcia on us.
Tie dye seems to be one of those things that looks great on the top of the fashion design pyramid. But as it trickles down through cheaper and cheaper interations in so many rainbow colored rivulets, it loses its bohemian charm and comes out looking more like this:
Or…well…anyway, you get the idea.
I have a long, multi-colored tie dye skirt, and on the hanger, it looks like it should be in the same vein as the pretty Blumarine number pictured above (above the not-yet-Gratefully Dead Grandad, I mean). Somehow, though, when I go to wear this skirt, I turn into this lady:
How does that work? Some form of dirty hippie magic, I suspect.
As with many things, those who can, should. If you can pull off the flower child look while avoiding the slippery slope of music festival subculture, it looks like you’ve got some great options from the likes of Rodarte, Proenza Schouler, and others. But get ready, because these guys are definitely going to hit on you.
dibs on the one with the nice rack
Make sure you leave the price tags on – bold demonstrations of consumerism may be your only ward against the advances of these patchouli soaked Lotharios.
STORE CLOSING SALE
What is Necrophashion?
Vintage fashion reanimates the past, and current designers continually breathe new life into long-dead styles. Necrophashion embraces the old in the new, and the potential for new to emerge from the old.
Walk a mile in a dead man's shoes, but be happy that when you're dead and gone, someone will be walking in yours.
(In reality, this blog is less about a cycle of metaphorical fashion samsara, and more about me rambling on about things I find interesting that have to do with wearing clothing. Sorry, nudists, it's nothing personal.)
- @ASOS_HeretoHelp Your website is having weird redirect problems for the past 3 days...is this just me? I want to shop the sale & can't! 3 years ago
- @sprintcare Why can't I get any calls or txts in 11215? Asked @ local store & they said its the network. Called Sprint, they say no outage. 4 years ago
- @jcrew I tried to unsubscribe from your Factory emails 4x & even called customer service bc I keep getting them. Hasn't stopped. What gives? 4 years ago
- 1940s Dramatic Illusion Lace Gown w/ Plunge Back etsy.me/N9I8NY via @Etsy #vintage #etsy 4 years ago
- 1950s Umber Brown Button Front Drop Waist Full Skirt Dress etsy.me/N9yyuq via @Etsy #vintage #etsy 4 years ago